Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Hero for this Memorial Day

This is Memorial Day weekend and I met a hero today. On my way to the Metro as I headed home, I met a young man in a wheelchair taking his dog for a walk. His wheelchair said combat wounded and had the seal of his branch of service. I paused and asked if I could shake his hand. He smiled and held out his hand. I thanked him for his service and asked where he had served. “Afghanistan” was his response. I wished him the very best and with my eyes misted up continued toward the Metro station.

That young man with no legs and a big smile is my hero. I don’t know his name, but I won’t forget him. I do hope and pray that he forgets me as but one of thousands of people thanking him for what he has done for our nation and for each of us as Americans. He and all those who have given of themselves deserve our ceaseless thanks.

This should be a weekend of remembering and honoring all of those who gave what Abraham Lincoln called the “last full measure of devotion”. We need to also remember and appreciate all those who have served our nation and sacrificed of themselves both physically and mentally. Lastly, those men and women who have served our country and came home safe and sound need to hear our heartfelt thanks.

This weekend isn’t just a three-day weekend, it is a time to remember the gift we have of freedom and those who earned it for us. It is a time to honor heroes and to remember the legacy of freedom they have entrusted to us.

Enjoy the barbeques and family gatherings and take a moment to thank God and all our veterans for the rights we have. It is fitting and proper to remember all who have passed to the next life, but never forget to thank those who quietly walk with us today.

To that young hero, my Dad, my Son, and every other veteran, thank you again and may God bless you and our wonderful nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment